02 May 2012

The Tongan Royal Family Tree

Last year, out of utter confusion about who was related to whom, I created a royal family tree. But families change, teenagers grow up, and the royal family has had quite a big change lately- the change in kings - as well as the much talked-about royal wedding between HRH Prince 'Ulukalala (Crown Prince Siaosi Tuku'aho) and Hon. Sinaitakala Fakafanua.

I've updated the family tree and re-posted it below, some with new pictures, some with better pictures, and some the way they've always been.

As always, a couple of caveats: Names have been shortened in some cases, and most of the names without Prince, Princess, King, or Queen in front of them have an "Hon." that I have left out for the sake of space. I've also left out first or second marriages that are not considered part of the royal line. Bold titles underneath the names are the hereditary names that get passed from generation to generation, and purple dates indicate when the monarch reigned.

Also, I've left out quite a bit of detail between HM King George Tupou I and II : HM King George Tupou I had three children. His eldest son was HRH Prince Tevita Unga, Former PM of Tonga. His youngest son was HRH Prince Vuna, which Vuna Rd. in Nuku'alofa is named after. HM King George Tupou I had only one daughter, named HRH Princess Salote Pilolevu (whom the current Princess is named after).  HRH Princess Salote Pilolevu had 2 sons: Hon. Alipate Halakilangi and HRH Princess Salote Pilolevu (the first her 2nd son is named Hon Fatafehi) he is the father of HM King George Tupou II.





2 comments:

  1. Please correct your family tree. From HM KIng George Tupou I, His eldest Son is HRH Prince Tevita Unga, Former PM of Tonga & Youngest son is HRH Prince Vuna (vuna rd is named after) & his only daughter is HRH Princess Salote Pilolevu (the current Princess is named after) she has only 2 sons named Hon Alipate Halakilangi (Hon Alipate halakilangi is my great great grandfather which Queen Nansi's Dad Late Lord Albert Vaea is named after) and HRH Princess Salote Pilolevu (the first her 2nd son is named Hon Fatafehi) he is the father of HM King George Tupou II, then QUeen Salote, Tupou IV, Tupou V.

    Respectfully,

    Mala L F,
    Matahiva,
    Kingdom of Tonga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Malia! I always appreciate feedback to make sure I properly represent things on our blog. Thanks so much for your description of the children of HM King George Tupou I - I think the writing may be too small to see on the family tree, but I actually chose not to publish the details that far back in the family tree. If you'll notice the small letters underneath HM King George Tupou II, it says "Great grandson of Tupou 1"

      I know this one focuses more on the recent members of the royal family but perhaps I should make one that goes a bit farther back, as you suggest. For now, I've included your comment in the text so that the link between HM King George Tupou I and II is more clear.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails